My name is Erika, I’m 34 years old, 5’6” and my highest weight was 278lbs. I began the carnivore lifestyle September 17, 2018.
I was keto (20g net carbs) for three years prior. I went off the keto rails early in 2018 due to frustration. Keto is wonderful, but in hindsight I just didn’t optimize for my body correctly, like I am now. This was tough, so many things were significantly improved on keto I was struggling to comprehend why I wasnt feeling my best. The things that improved were, my mental health, some weight, and hormonal regularity (PCOS), but I was struggling with inflammation. My CRP came back at 6.1 two years in a row and this really bothered me, something was off. My doctor suspected it was due to my chronic UTIs but to me the UTIs just seemed like another symptom of a larger issue.
As a child, I was constantly on antibiotics due to chronic UTI’s and ear infections. I must have done at least three courses a year from ages 5-12. I’m certain gut damage has contributed to my inflammation issues.
Entering my teen years was no fun, my cycles were never regular and of course I was just put on birth control to regulate them. I remained on that until my early 20’s when I learned more about the risks and was digging deeper into health and wellness. It wasn’t until then that I was diagnosed with PCOS. In early 2016, about 3 months after starting keto my cycles started to regulate somewhat. Now that I am carnivore, I am almost to a perfect 28 day cycle for the first time in my life. I actually ovulated 18 days into carnivore. This is perfect timing as I hope to have children soon.
Today, my inflammation is decreasing day-by-day. I have not retested my CRP but weight is just pouring off of my body. I’ve lost 10lbs. a month for the past 6 months. This is unheard of for me, dropping weight has always been a struggle. Just when I think “OK, next month my weight loss will slow down a bit” it just stays consistent… amazing. I’m down to 210lbs today, it has only been 6 months! My mental health has also improved further, over the past months I’ve noticed my anxiety and worry have substantially decreased, I used to go over and over situation or problem in my head, now I just let things go without even trying. I had been experiencing psoriasis on my scalp for about 6 years, this has almost completely vanished! It flares a bit during hormonal changes with the onset of my cycle but it is 80% better than before. It’s hard to explain…I just feel content, like someone cleared the drain, I was clogged and now I’m clear in every sense.
Some interested things I’ve noticed since going carnivore:
- No muscle pain: I used to despise exercise. Before, I would get up enough motivation to go for a walk and my leg muscles would start aching instantly. I thought this was normal; it’s not. Three months into the carnivore diet I started a stepbet as I really was having the urge to move more. I was a mile in when I realized the pain wasn’t there. I thought I wasn’t trying hard enough so I accelerated my pace, the uncomfortable aching did not return. I’m now walking around four miles/day/5-6x week.
- My skin is very fair and I no longer burn in the sun. I may get a bit red initially but it quickly turns into a tan. (it’s also very clear and smooth)
- In the past I had an aversion to heat, I couldn’t tolerate it. Now it’s no longer uncomfortable and I am far more tolerant.
- My teeth are no longer sensitive to cold, my gums no longer bleed when I floss, and my dentist visits are easy. My teeth and gums are healthier than ever.
- 16 days in my toes ached unbelievably, I still have no idea what the hell that was.